Update on COVID-19, Traveler Safety, and 2022-2023 Programming

Update on COVID-19, Traveler Safety, and 2022-2023 Programming

UPDATED: June 10, 2022

  • This information is for Greenheart Travel programs OUTSIDE of the USA. If you are on a program in the USA or were planning to come to the USA, please refer to information from our inbound department, Greenheart Exchange. 
  • Most of this information refers to Americans, US government regulations, and US-specific information because most of our participants are American. However, almost all of it can also be applied to your home country if you are from Canada, UK, etc. If you need specific information, please refer to the resources at the bottom of this page. 

Greenheart Travel’s #1 priority is our travelers’ safety, both before and during each traveler’s program. With constant updates regarding coronavirus outbreaks, we wanted to offer this page for specific COVID-19 updates, including program cancellations and info on future programs. Over the last two years the global outbreak situation has been unprecedented and unpredictable. There are changes and new restrictions being announced around the world every day, and while we are optimistic about the global reopening, we are still anticipating border closures in some regions. 

We are carefully monitoring the US Government advisements, the news, as well as information from our participants and partners.  

For Travelers Already Abroad

At the time of this writing, High School Abroad programs have not been affected by COVID-19 cases. Local staff and host families are instructed to follow any government instructions and protocol to maintain the safest program possible. Please remember to follow CDC and government guidelines for vaccinated and also unvaccinated individuals, such as maintaining at least 6 feet of distance, wearing a mask, and washing your hands.  

While in most destinations there are now partial lockdown orders, intermittent online or hybrid schooling, and city curfews, these restrictions are currently not affecting our students day-to-day activities. Greenheart Travel and our in-country partners are keeping a close eye on the number of COVID-19 cases affecting Europe and any restrictions being put in place.  

Please refer to the COVID-19 Conditions Addendum you signed prior to departing for further information on contingency plans. 

For Travelers Signed Up for Future Start Dates

As of writing this post, U.S. citizens are currently prohibited from entering some parts of the E.U., Japan, New Zealand, and Australia as tourists. This means that our volunteer-based Teaching Programs, Work Abroad Programs, and High School Abroad trimester programs in those destinations are still unable to run until these restrictions lift. The government policy in each destination changes frequently, so please continue to monitor our website for any updates, including start dates.  

The E.U. reopened for vaccinated U.S. citizens this summer. The European Council’s recommendations state that only vaccinated travelers, those traveling for essential reasons, and those traveling for nonessential reasons from the list of approved countries should be allowed to enter Europe. However, each country in Europe ultimately has the final say on what its requirements are—and will be—for travelers entering its borders.  

Here are Greenheart Travel’s European destinations that have announced clear entry instructions: 

We are accepting applications for Teach English in a Homestay programs in those destinations. 

The only country for our Teach English in a Homestay program that requires a mandatory quarantine upon arrival is South Korea. Travelers to that destination are required to have a mandatory two-week quarantine upon arrival at their own expense prior to meeting their host families.

If you are signed up for a non-high school abroad program and are not able to enter your destination country 6 weeks prior to your intended start date, please refer to the COVID-19 Cancellation and Refund Policy 

For our High School Abroad Programs in Europe, entry restrictions do not apply to high school abroad students applying for student visas (applies to semester and academic year programs). At the time of this update we are waiting government announcements in order to resume programs in Australia and New Zealand. We anticipate the borders will open for students in time for Spring 2022 programs in Japan, Fall 2022 programs in Australia, and Spring 2023 programs in New Zealand.

If you have questions or concerns regarding your program and these changes please respond to the email you received today from your program manager with this same information, or contact us at travelapplications@greenheart.org

For Travelers Interested in Fall 2022

If you are interested in signing up for a Fall/Winter 2022 program, we will update our website to keep you posted on entry restrictions as we have them.

If you are not able to enter your destination country 6 weeks prior to your program start date, please refer to the COVID-19 Cancellation and Refund Policy.  If you have questions or concerns regarding your program and these changes please respond to any email you received from your program manager or contact us at travelapplications@greenheart.org 

For Travelers Signed Up for programs after this date:

We take applicants for programs as we learn of lifting travel advisories, etc. Greenheart Travel will continue to monitor the situation and make changes as necessary. Greenheart Travel will suspend or defer programs if it is determined that it is not safe or not possible to travel at that time. We will make a decision about whether a program will run 6 weeks before each program start date. 

Please read our full COVID-19 cancellation and deferral policies here for all future programs, before signing up. 

If you have questions or concerns regarding your program, please email your program manager, or contact us at travelapplications@greenheart.org. 


Starting with Spring 2022 departures, all Greenheart Travel (outbound) participants need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before departing for their destination. There are no exceptions to this policy.

Returning to the United States after your abroad program

As of December 17, 2021, all travelers to the United States are required to provide either a negative COVID-19 viral test taken one day before air travel or provide a positive test result and documentation from a licensed health care provider or public health official of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel.  This COVID-19 test will not be covered by Greenheart Travel insurance, and Greenheart Travel will not be responsible for any additional costs associated with flight changes, accommodation fees, or airport transfer fees incurred as a result of a positive COVID-19 test prior to departure.

As of June 12, 2022, the USA is dropping the pre-departure COVID-19 testing requirement for international air travelers to the USA. Please review all current information from the CDC. 

A Message to Our Community 

We want to take a minute to express our solidarity with the world community and thank you for your understanding in  this difficult time. We attempt to get information to you as quickly as possible, which can be very difficult given often rapidly fluid situations. As a small non-profit business, we also appreciate your understanding as we navigate these uncharted waters. Our participants have always been, and will remain, our number 1 priority. If we can help you please let us know.   THANK YOU.

Additional Resources 

35 thoughts on "Update on COVID-19, Traveler Safety, and 2022-2023 Programming"

  1. Anurat says:

    I am looking for summer English program 2-3 months for my 16 year old kid start in early July onward.

    1. Shannon Pedersen says:

      Hi Anurat, Greenheart Travel offers outbound experiences for U.S. and Canadian students whose first language is English. Unfortunately, we do not offer any English programs for teens at this time.

  2. Yoli Mera says:

    Dear Greenheart Travel,
    Is the TEFL certification course in Prague, Czech Republic, open for travelers?

    1. Shannon Pedersen says:

      Hi Yoli,
      Check out our program page here for open course dates and eligibility requirements: https://greenhearttravel.org/program/adult/teach/czech-republic-tefl-certification-course-in-prague#/tab/course-dates

  3. Joyce Bialik says:

    I am interested in the volunteer tree project in Puerto Rico for January 2022. Might you be doing that program?

    1. Shannon Pedersen says:

      Hi Joyce,
      Unfortunately all of our volunteer programs are on hold for the time being due to the pandemic. Please do check back periodically for updates, though!

  4. Todopram says:

    What good topic

  5. Miles says:

    Hi, I hope that internship program will operates and resume for spring 2022.

    Best of luck.

  6. Ruth says:

    Can studentts from Africa join this program? if so can you please explain to me alittle more

    1. Shannon Pedersen says:

      Hi Ruth!
      Every program has different eligibility requirements, including citizenship requirements. We recommend taking a look at the program(s) you are interested in to find the specific eligibility requirements.

  7. Ryan Waldrop says:


    I hope everyone is having a great day! 🙂 I just wanted to share that I had a scheduled phone call appointment with Kara Menini at 07:40pm (Central European Time) on Thursday, June 11, 2020. I never received a phone call. I emailed Kara twice since then, and I haven’t received a response back. I just had some questions regarding the program. Have a great day!


    1. Sara Thacker says:

      Hi Ryan! Kara is no longer working at Greenheart, so we’d be happy to help answer your questions if you email travelapplications@greenheart.org. Thanks for your patience!

  8. Ulf Dunberger says:

    Hello !
    First, I would like to know what your expectations are that a foreign student will be able to participate in High School exchange program in Madison County, NY (outside Syracuse) beginning in late August or early September 2020?
    Second, what are the prospects that the school will be open so that students are not getting their education remotely from home when the fall semester starts in late August or beginning September?
    Third, what are the prospects that students will be able to participate in sports programs and other extra curricular activities durng the upcoming school year?
    Thank you very much for your prompt reply !
    Kind regards,

    1. Sara Thacker says:

      Hi Ulf. This information is for Greenheart Travel programs OUTSIDE of the USA. If you have questions about planning to come to the USA as an exchange student, please refer to information from our inbound department, Greenheart Exchange: https://greenheart.org/blog/exchange/coronavirus-update/

  9. Tarik says:

    Dear Greenheart travel,
    If conditions were normal, I would have gone to America from Turkey on June 15. Is this date still valid under the current circumstances? What kind of solution can you offer if these conditions persist? There is a little time to take visa and buy ticket for programme, even though uncertainty continue and this situation worries me.
    Thanks, Tarik.

    1. Sara Thacker says:

      Hi Tarkik. This information is for Greenheart Travel programs OUTSIDE of the USA. If you are on a program in the USA or were planning to come to the USA, please refer to information from our inbound department, Greenheart Exchange: https://greenheart.org/blog/exchange/coronavirus-update/

  10. Mia says:


    I just had a question regarding the South Korea Language Camp on July 26. If I do sign up for it and the virus prevents me from going, is there a refund policy for this situation? And if my parents deem it unsafe for me to travel is there a refund policy for this situation? Thank you for your help!

    1. Sara Thacker says:

      Hi Mia! Please refer to our cancellation policies here: https://greenhearttravel.org/covid-19-cancellation-policies

  11. Bailey Porter says:

    So I was participating In a teach in a Homestay program in Spain. My program ended early as I am sure you know. I was in contact with my greenheart contact and was told she no longer works for greenheart. I was wondering if we would be getting a refund or partial refund due to the corona virus ending programs early?

    1. Sara Thacker says:

      Hi Bailey. It’s unfortunate you had to come home early, but you’re not alone, a lot of people had their programs cut short due to this unprecedented situation. Please email us to discuss your situation, you can respond to any emails you’ve gotten from us or your email new contact Allison Yates (ayates@greenheart.org). Thanks.

  12. Julia says:

    What happens to the exchange that starts with August? Currently everything is fine? Without any changes ?

    1. Sara Thacker says:

      Currently, yes. We are still planning to run our August programs. We will continue to watch the situation and if this changes we will inform anyone signed up to leave later this year.

  13. Eoin Clarke says:


    Are the programs in Myanmar also suspended until further notice?

    Thank you

    1. Sara Thacker says:

      Yes, we will not be sending anyone anywhere until at least June 1, 2020.

  14. Leighann Mattson says:

    Hello, I am currently in Thailand and was wondering what their risk level is right now and what you would advise I do? My contract is through May 29th and we just started digital classes, but my family is scared that the borders are going to be closed and I will get stuck here much longer than the end of May. What are your thoughts? Please let me know. Thank you!

    1. Sara Thacker says:

      Hi Leighann,

      We cannot comment on your risk level in Thailand specifically – as it’s changing and evolving super quickly, however, we are asking that everyone come home now, even from Thailand. We need to be proactive as we anticipate increasing travel restrictions, global border closings and mandatory quarantines for anyone traveling between any country in the very near future. Waiting much longer may mean that you may be unable to return home when you want to. It is possible that schools, restaurants, and hotels will be closed indefinitely if they are not already. There may be no work available, and the ability to move around freely could be severely limited. Airlines may shut down or continue to greatly reduce the number of flights available. We hope that you are able to understand this incredibly difficult decision. We know it is incredibly disappointing, and we assure you that we do not take this decision lightly. If you have questions about this please let us know.

      – Sara & Greenheart Travel

  15. Alexander Benedict says:

    Dear Greenheart Travel,
    Are there any updates on how the coronavirus crisis may effect TEFL certification courses in Prague, Czech Republic?

    1. Sara Thacker says:

      Hi Alex. All programs, including TEFL courses, are subject to our policies above. Any course before May 31 is now canceled and all current participants in Prague are to come home immediately. Any future courses with start dates after June 1 we will wait and see but we expect to hopefully still offer them depending on the situation and how it unfolds.

  16. Braxton Quelle says:

    To whom, it may concern
    Sorry to bother you, and I’m sure you’ve been receiving lots of emails. I was just concerned about our ability to get to Thailand for the program. We booked our flights a few weeks ago, and this morning received notice that they had been delayed till October 24th.

    The coronovirus link on greenheart’s website hasn’t been updated in the last 3 weeks. And a lot has changed. It says a refund will only be given if the program is cancelled and it will only be cancelled if there is a level 4 travel advisory. On the CDC website the current level is stated at 2 but on the travel.state.gov. website there is a global alert at 3. 

    Obviously neither of these are a four. My question is, if a level 4 alert is not issued but we cannot find passage to Thailand in time for the start date what will happen?

    Thanks for your help, I hope to hear from you soon
    Hope you are staying safe
    Braxton Quelle

    1. Sara Thacker says:

      Hi Braxton. We have updated our policy since you wrote this comment, so please see above. October is still quite a ways away – so at this point, we’re just going to have to wait and see what happens. We currently have every intention of offering our fall start dates. If there is still a Level 4 or flights to Thailand are canceled/impossible – we would cancel the program at that time. Please email Kara if you have further questions at kmenini@greenheart.org, I know she has already emailed you too!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *